1st Team - Match centre

Holywell Town
Llanrug Utd
Sat 14 Dec 14:30 - Lock Stock Welsh Alliance Football League - Division 1 Full time Attendance 125

Holywell Town 0 - 2 Llanrug United

Holywell Town slipped to their first league defeat of the season at a windswept Halkyn Road on Saturday as Llanrug United ran out 2-0 winners.


Town were the first to pile on the pressure with Steve Thomas, Paul Williams and Graham Boylan having efforts saved and a corner to Town on 7 minutes led to Llanrug’s opening goal. The ball was cleared out of the back by the Llanrug’s defence and the visitors broke quickly and a cross into the box held up in the wind and Kevin Lloyd was there to head it back towards goal and was headed into the net by Rhys Roberts to give Llanrug the lead.

Holwyell Town were denied a blatant penalty on 20 minutes as Luke Tyson was wrestled to the floor by goal keeper Dylan Roberts, but much to the amazement of everyone at the game, referee Gareth Hughes waved play on; Even the Llanrug following thought it was a penalty.

Graham Boylan then had an effort go over with the goal at his mercy before a good move ont eh left saw Steve Thomas pass the ball to Paul Williams but his cross was just a little too high for Boylan and beat the onrushing Tyson at the far post. Town piled on the pressure leading up to half time but couldn’t get the equaliser they deserved.

The second half started in the same way as the first half ended with Town looking for the equaliser with Thomas and Boylan trying to get the Wellmen back into it but their efforts went wide of Roberts’ post. Tom McElmeel then got Captain Paul Williams into a great position and his neat ball to Steve Thomas was passed on to Tyson but his effort went over the bar.

Just after the hour mark, Town fell further behind as Llanrug’s David
Noel Williams added the second goal of the afternoon. Matty Harvey conceded a free kick in a dangerous position and Noel Williams’ saw his free kick fly into the top corner to give Keeper Danny Stanton no chance. The goal gave Llanrug the impetus to look for another as they held a two goal lead, and a under hit pass out of defence by McElmeel was picked up by Rhys Roberts but his shot went inches wide.

On 70 minutes, The Wellmen nearly pulled one back as a Steve Thomas free kick was floated into the box and Graham Boylan rose well to head the ball goalwards and keeper Dylan Roberts got down well to save the ball at the near post. Another good move involving Tony Roebuck and Luke Tyson saw the ball fall for Paul Williams but his shot went wide of the target.

Llanrug United then had the final couple of chances of the afternoon as Noel Williams had a shot which Danny Stanton done well to get a hand to it and force the ball out for a corner before Kevin Lloyd had a long range effort which was gathered well by Stanton.

It was a disappointing result for the Wellmen and the defeat saw Llanrug over take Holywell Town into 3rd place in the Welsh Alliance League. Town will now look to start over again next Saturday against Llanrwst United and go on another undefeated run to keep the pressure on those above us in the league.


Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League table

# Team Pd Pts
1. Denbigh Town 28 78
2. Holywell Town 28 65
3. Llanrug Utd 28 59
4. Barmouth & Dyffryn Utd 28 46
5. Glantraeth 28 43
6. Llanberis 28 39
7. Bodedern Ath 28 37
8. Gwalchmai 28 35

Team sponsors


Club sponsors