Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Holywell Town FC


1st Team - Match centre

Holywell Town
Full time
S Lewis (53')
Sat 12 May 14:30 - Huws Gray Alliance League - Huws Gray Alliance Attendance 268

Porthmadog 1-1 Holywell Town

Wellmen return from Y Traeth with a point after a 1-1 draw

The Wellmen travelled down to Porthmadog in glorious sunshine, and after the original match was postponed a couple of months ago, this fixture was rearranged for today and rounded off our League campaign for the season.

Whatever the result today, the Wellmen would have finished in 5th place but as it was Manager John Haseldin's last league match in the dugout for the Town, everyone was hoping for 3 points which would have been a great send off for Haseldin for his last League match.

The Players formed a guard of honour for Port goalkeeper RIchard Harvey, who was playing his last game for the club after 12 seasons being their first choice keeper. The game started brightly for the Wellmen and the match was only a couple of minutes old when the first chance of the afternoon fell to Shaun Tuck but his shot flew over the crossbar. With around 10 minutes on the clock Port won a free kick after Jack Pennington had fouled Sion Edwards, and from the resulting free kick, Josh Banks wasn't too far away with his header after it flew over the cross bar. On 20 minutes, the hosts took the lead through Cai Jones, who slotted home after Leon Doran had fired over a inch perfect cross. A few minutes later, Shaun Tuck broke free and ran into the penalty area and fell to the ground under the challenge of the Port defender, but the Match referee Cheryl Foster blew and the Holywell supporters in the ground thought she had blown for a penalty, but supporters were disappointed to see it went against Tuck and he was booked for diving where many a referee would have given the penalty.

Porthmadog had a couple of chances to increase their lead, with Joe Chaplin having an effort blocked and Julian Williams having fly over the bar. |As the half reached the final 5 minutes, a good run by Sam Jones into the box, beating 2 defenders but his low cross goalwards towards Steve Lewis was blocked. Holywell's best chance for the equaliser fell in the last minute of the first half. A great ball through for Steve Lewis to chase saw him burst into the penalty area, but just as he was about to pull the trigger, Port's Rob Evans put in a great tackle and the ball went out for a throw in and the teams went off for half time with the home side having the advantage.

The second half started the same way as the first had ended with Port looking for the second goal and having the better of the possession, but less than 10 minutes into the half, Town got the equaliser. A great cross over by Brady McGilloway saw the ball find Steve Lewis, and he glanced his header back across goal and went into the back of the net via the post with Richard Harvey beaten.

The goal lifted Town, and the Wellmen began pressing looking for the goal to give them the lead, Matty Harvey has having a great game down the left, and one of his runs saw him get close to the penalty area, and his low cross into the box where Shaun Tuck was waiting was cleared by the Port defence. Then a good move saw the Wellmen burst forward and a ball down the right for Phil Lloyd to chase seemed to be going out, but he chased the lost cause, kept the ball in play on the byline, then his low cross found Lee Davey but he was unable to get his shot away before being challenged by the Port defender.

Shaun Tuck having a shot blocked and Lee Davey had his shot cleared after a last minute tackle as he was about to shoot goalwards. Port weathered the storm, with Sion Edwards and Cai Jones both shooting wide of Pearson's goal and the home side very nearly took the lead as Ceri James' shot flew back out off the crossbar and was cleared by Jon Jones. With a few minutes left on the clock, Town were grateful for keeper Pearson, as Tomos Emlyn's shot was brilliantly turned onto the post by Pearson and the rebound fell to goalscorer Cai Jones, but he blazed the shot wide of the goal.

The game ended 1-1 and as Manager John Haseldin left the pitch to a round of applause, (see picture) the Wellmen looked forward to Friday night's NEWFA Challenge Cup final against Ruthin Town, and the chance to pick up some silverware in our last match of the season.

Key moments

Goal Steve Lewis scores for Holywell Town


View 0 new events
85:00 Sub On
Chris Boulton is substituted on for Holywell Town
85:00 Sub Off
Shaun Tuck is substituted off for Holywell Town
60:00 Sub Off
Jack Pennington is substituted off for Holywell Town
60:00 Sub On
Lee Davey is substituted on for Holywell Town
53:00 Goal 0 - 1
Steve Lewis scores for Holywell Town
End of period 1
29:00 Yellow Card
Shaun Tuck is yellow carded for Holywell Town
14:00 Yellow Card
Sam Jones is yellow carded for Holywell Town
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Porthmadog
  • Holywell Town
  • 0
  • Sam Jones Yellow Card 14:00'
  • Shaun Tuck Yellow Card 29:00'
  • Steve Lewis Goal 53:00'
  • Lee Davey Sub On 60:00'
  • Jack Pennington Sub Off 60:00'
  • Chris Boulton Sub On 85:00'
  • Shaun Tuck Sub Off 85:00'

Team selection

Pearson, Shaun Pearson, Shaun
Lloyd, Phil Lloyd, Phil
Jones, Jonathon Jones, Jonathon
Pennington, Jack Pennington, Jack
Kendrick, Matthew Kendrick, Matthew
Harvey, Matthew Harvey, Matthew
McGilloway, Brady McGilloway, Brady
Jones, Sam Jones, Sam
Lewis, Steve Lewis, Steve
Tuck, Shaun Tuck, Shaun
Sudlow, Gareth Sudlow, Gareth

League round up

Other Huws Gray Alliance results

FC Queens Park
Llandudno Junction

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Caernarfon Town 28 65
2. Denbigh Town 28 60
3. Airbus Broughton 28 54
4. Guilsfield 28 53
5. Holywell Town 28 50
6. Rhyl 28 47
7. Porthmadog 28 44

Team sponsors


Club sponsors