1st Team - Match centre

Holywell Town
Sat 2 Feb 13:30 - Cup Full time

Brymbo 0 - 1 Holywell Town

Holywell Town make it into the last 8 at Brymbo


FAW Trophy Round 5
Brymbo 0-1 Holywell Town

Finally, the FAW Trophy tie got the go ahead after 3 failed attempts due to a waterlogged pitch and the wintry weather, and it was Town who got the victory to see them into the next round.

Both teams started brightly and tried to take control of the game in the strong wind. The first chance fell to Steve Thomas on 10 minutes, as his shot was dragged wide following a Holywell corner. Further half chances fell to both teams before Town took the lead with about 20 minutes on the clock.

The Wellmen won a free kick just outside the area. Danny Sullivan stood behind the ball and his shot beat the wall and hit the bar with the keeper beaten and fell down over the line before bouncing back out where Ian Griffiths made sure by tapping the ball into the back of the empty net, much to the delight of the travelling support.

2 minutes later, Brymbo nearly equalised. Brymbo’s Damion Jones broke free and running on goal, Danny Stanton came out and bravely saved at the forward’s feet to keep Holywell’s lead intact. Ian Griffiths, who was proving to be a handful for the Brymbo defence saw his shot saved by Dan Billington in the Brymbo goal before Ashely Durham made a great tackle on Brymbo’s Nick Chesters to prevent him having a shot on goal. Lee Fereday had a shot go wide for the hosts before a Steve Thomas cross reached Griffiths but his header was knocked out for a corner. On the stroke of half time, Town won a free kick and the cross into the box beat everyone with Sullivan rushing in at the far post but was unable to get the vital touch to force the ball home.

The second half started and Brymbo had the better of the opening exchanges. Damion Jones saw his shot go inches wide of Danny Stanton’s post, then a Brymbo free kick fell kindly for Jones again but his shot flew over the bar. Town’s first chance of the second half fell on 65 minutes, as Ian Griffiths beat the offside trap and ran towards the bye line before pulling the ball back to the middle but the keeper was alert to come out to thwart the danger with Steve Thomas read to pounce.

Nick Chester went close for Brymbo, seeing his shot fly inches wide of the post before a great move from Holywell saw Barry Calder break clear and crossed the ball into Griffiths, but his header was saved by the keeper. Calder again found himself with space on the right and ran deep into the Brymbo half, and his cross took a wicked deflection and fell over the bar, when a few of the Holywell supporters thought had gone in.

Brymbo then threw everything at Town to try to force the game into extra time and went close on a couple of occasions, the best of which fell to substitute Mykel Woollett, but Stanton produced a quick reaction save to keep Holywell in the lead.

The Referee blew for full time and Danny Sullivan’ strike was enough to see the Wellmen through to the next round. Town now travel to South Wales to face Cwm & Llantwit Welfare on Saturday in what will once again be a difficult cup match.



View 0 new events
There are no events recorded for this fixture yet.
Replay game

As it happened

  • Brymbo
  • Holywell Town
  • 0
  • Graeme Williams Sub Off 70:00'
  • Josh Roberts Sub On 70:00'
  • Tom Carney Sub On 75:00'
  • Barry Calder Sub Off 75:00'
  • Ian Griffiths Sub Off 80:00'
  • Barry Calder Player of the Match 90:00'

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors


Club sponsors