Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Holywell Town FC app


Wellmen share the points with Conwy Borough

By Steve Roberts

The Wellmen faced Conwy Borough this evening at Halkyn Road and the game ended 1-1 and the points shared.

It was a good start by Town and in the opening couple of minutes, a good ball through by Tony Roebuck found Damian Ketley, and he controls the ball well in the area and his inch perfect cross finds the debutant Joe Carey but his header is parried by Keighan Jones before he gathers at the second attempt with Connor littler challenging. A few minutes later, another good move see’s Connor Littler through on goal, but as the keeper comes out to narrow the angle, forcing Littler to place his shot inches wide of Keighan Jones’ post.

Conwy then had a good move, passing the ball around the middle of the park before Bryan Roberts through ball for Corrig McGonigle to chase was picked up by Andy Metcalf and the chance was gone. With a few minutes remaining before the break, Connor Littler who burst through and was challenged in the box by a last ditch tackle by Conwy’s Gerwyn Jones with Sam Jones in space and screaming for the ball to his right. During the last few minutes, Town pressing looking for a goal, and a good corner by Sam Jones but the ball was gathered well in the air and the chance had gone and the score at the interval was 0-0.

Town then took the lead just before the hour mark. A ball over to Ketley (pictured) midway in the Conwy half and he saw the keeper rushing out towards him and chipped the keeper and the ball hit the post, before coming back out and going into the net via the desperate efforts of Keighan Jones to keep it out. The lead was shortlived however as the visitors Gerwyn Jones drew the sides level from a corner.

Town had a good effort to regain the lead with around 72 minutes on the clock. Town won a corner and the ball comes over to Ketley who controls well, and he turns and shoots and the keeper makes a good save to deny him. The final few minutes see's Conwy pile on the pressure, looking for the winner, and they won a free kick in a dangerous position after Luke Wandless was adjudged to have been fouled but Bryan Roberts free kick ended up high over Metcalfs crossbar. Conwy had their tails up and a good move saw Luke Wandless cross the ball into the box and Dan Seager shot was saved by Metcalf before the rebound fell to Sean McCaffrey and his effort was blocked by a last ditch tackle by Matty Kendrick.

The Referee then blew for full time and the points were shared, and on the balance of play and chances, Town had the better of the chances during the first half but the visitors fought back to edge out the Wellmen in the second half, so a draw was probably a fair reflection on the game. A good crowd of 257 was at Halkyn Road this evening and the club would like to thank our supporters who turned out to cheer us on this evening.

The Wellmen are in cup action next week with a trip to league leaders Airbus Broughton in the Huws Gray Alliance League Cup.

Updated 01:20 - 8 Sep 2018 by Steve Roberts

Where next?

Reserves through to next round of the League Cup The Reserves are through to the next round of the League Cup after a resounding 8-0 victory over Johnstown Youth Reserves.
Match Preview - Holywell Town v Conwy Borough The Wellmen are in Huws Gray Alliance action on Friday night as we welcome Conwy Borough to Halkyn Road.

Wed 15 May
League 7 – 1
Sat 11 May
League 0 – 4
Sun 5 May
Under 19s Llay Welfare Colts
League 4 – 1
Sat 4 May
League 15 – 0

News sponsors


Club sponsors