News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Wellmen fall to defeat in NEWFA Challenge Cup

Wellmen fall to defeat in NEWFA Challenge Cup

Steve Roberts22 Apr - 21:45
Share via

The Wellmen this evening fell to a 2-0 defeat in the NEWFA Challenge Cup to Flint Mountain

It was Flint Mountain who were the better team for the opening exchanges, Tyler French forced to make a couple of early stops to prevent Mountain taking the lead, then with around 10 minutes on the clock, French had to pull off another great save to prevent Calyn Spencer giving the opponents a deserved lead.
Wellmens first real chance came with around 20 minutes on the clock, Morgan Murray with a dangerous corner into the penalty area but Mark Winslades header was straight at keeper Jamie King. A few moments later, Mountain had taken the lead. Jack Sconce picked up the ball on the edge of the area, he burst forward before firing low past French to give his side the lead.
The Wellmen had a good spell of pressure after this, with Beau Cornish going close, forcing the keeper to make a great save tipping the ball over the crossbar, then from the resulting corner, Luka Graham’s volley smashed against the crossbar, then with a few minutes of the half remaining, Murray fired in a shot which the keeper saved meaning the Wellmen went in a goal behind at the break.
The second half began and the Wellmen piled on the early pressure, Winslade doing well to win a corner, then Murray’s corner was good and found WInslade but the keeper saved his header. Town were looking for the equaliser and Sam Ashworth had a good effort saved well before disaster struck for Town as Mountain grabbed a second. Sconce wining the ball and his cross from the byline found Calyn Spencer who’s volley beat French to double their lead.
The Wellmen were thankful to French moments later as he pulled off a great save to deny Mountain increasing their lead, then good play by Murray saw the ball come out to Jack Pennington, but he dragged his shot wide of King’s left hand post. A few minutes later, Town had couple of good chances, corner into the far post found Beau Cornish but his header was cleared off the line, the ball then found Pennington who also headed goalwards but again, Flint Mountain cleared off the line but the ball was hooked to safety. With the game in the final 10 minutes, Town had the ball in the back of the net, a good in swinging free kick by Ryan Edwards beat the Holywell attackers and bounced through to the goalkeeper, but he spilled it and it fell to Dave Forbes who tapped the ball home but the Assistant Referee raised his flag for off side.
The Wellmen pressed looking to grab a goal but were unable to test the keeper in the final few minutes and the referee blew his whistle to end the Wellmen’s involvement in this season’s NEWFA Challenge Cup.
The club thank all the fans who made the journey to Airbus this evening and see you all on Wednesday.
Further reading