News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Three more points for the Wellmen after a 3-0 victory over Porthmadog

Three more points for the Wellmen after a 3-0 victory over Porthmadog

Steve Roberts20 Apr - 00:00
Share via

The Wellmen rounded off their away campaign with a 3-0 victory over Porthmadog.

Holywell Town went into the game knowing that if the result between Denbigh Town and Flint town United went their way, they could have been crowned champions with a victory at the Traeth.
The match kicked off and the first chance of the game came with 10 minutes on the clock, a great ball out to Jake Cooke and he controlled well but his shot went narrowly wide of the goal. The Wellmen enjoyed most of the possession during the early part of the half but didn’t properly test the keeper.
The deadlock was broken with 20 minutes played. Good play down the right by Jamie Breese saw him lay the ball off to Danny Andrews, he steadied himself, controlled the ball then slots it into the corner. It was a deserved lead and set Town on their way. Town could have added a second moments later. Gareth Evans was fouled just outside the box, the cross into the box is blocked and follow up is saved by Oliver Farebrother in the Port goal. More good play see’s Cooke feed the ball to Breese, he gets to the byline but overhits his cross with Gareth Evans in a dangerous position, the Breese missed a glorious opportunity to double Town’s lead, a good ball over the top for him to chase, he gets to the ball first and tries to lob the advancing keeper, but his effort goes over the cross bar.
With the half nearing completion, Porthmadog force Pearson into a good save from Rhys Williams’ effort and as the lads left the field for half time, it as Andrews’ goal which separated the sides.
The Second half got underway and Town carried on where they left off, and soon settled back into their stride. A good ball through for Breese to chase nearly got Town their second goal, his low cross from the byline was gathered well by the keeper with Brady McGilloway ready to pounce. The Wellmen were creating a lot of chances now, and moments later, they won a free kick on the edge of the box. Andrews takes it and the keeper makes a great save to tip it over the bar for a corner. From the resulting corner, a good ball into the box see’s a bit of a scramble and eventually, the ball trickled out for a goal kick.
Porthmadog had a good spell and put the pressure on the Wellmen for a bit, and it was from a home side corner that Town should have grabbed their second. The corner came to nothing and was picked up by Jake Cooke, he burst forward and played a great ball up to Beau Cornish to chase. He was one on one with the keeper and as the keeper narrowed the angle, Cornish’s shot went wide of the target.
Cai Jones had an effort for Port but dragged his shot wide then Town were awarded a penalty after Danny Andrews was fouled in the box. Jamie Breese stepped up and smashed home the spot kick to double Town’s lead. Gareth Evans then fire a shot wide of Farebrother’s goal then Pearson did well to pull off a great save from a Porthmadog attack. The game entered injury time and Ilan ap Gareth rounded off the scoring with a great solo goal. He picked up the ball and skipped past a couple of challenges in the box then coolly slotted the ball home, much the delight of the supporters behind that goal.
That was the final action of the match and the referee blew for full time, Town were denied being crowned champions as Flint Town United won at Denbigh, but the Wellmen know that a point in the rearranged fixture against Llanidloes will be enough to them crowned chamipons of the JD Cymru North.

Picture: Wellmen celebrate Danny Andrews' opener (picture by Sam Eaden)

Further reading