1st Team - Match centre

Holywell Town
Sat 3 May 14:30 - Lock Stock Welsh Alliance Football League - Division 1 Full time Attendance 75

Glantraeth 2-6 Holywell Town

Holywell Town travelled to Angelsey to face Glantraeth, fresh on the back of the excellent midweek win over Bodedern Athletic.


The afternoon didn't get off to the best of starts as Glantraeth took the lead with only a few minutes on the clock as Mark Jones took advantage of a wayward back pass and fired home past Danny Stanton in between the sticks for Holywell. The goal lifted Holywell Town and Luke Tyson and Phil Lloyd were only inches away with their efforts to get Town back on level terms. The goal wasn't long in coming as top scorer Sam Jones equalised on 11 minutes after great work by Phil Lloyd and Graeme Williams in the build up.

Great work by Tyson down the right saw another good ball in across goal which was just a little to fast for the advancing Steve Thomas. A minute or so later, Town took a deserved lead as Phil Lloyd broke through the defence and unleashed a powerful shot that the keeper could not keep out, despite getting a touch to it. Sam Jones then had a shot saved and Matty Harvey's follow up was deflected out for a corner then Jones watched as another shot went inches wide.

Disaster then struck for the Wellmen as Mark Orme was adjudged to have tripped up Glantraeth's Mark Jones and Craig Roberts made no mistake from the penalty spot. Phil Lloyd then had a shot saved well by Kieran Williams then Paul Rowlands was through on goal and his shot was blazed over the crossbar with only the keeper to beat. With Town looking to go in at the break with the advantage, further chances fell to Lloyd, Matty Harvey and Sam Jones but they wern't able to convert their chances.

After the break, Glantraeth had the first opportunity of the half when Paul Rowlands' shot was saved well by Danny Stanton. Matty Harvey then broke clear and beat a couple of challenges before shooting and his shot was saved well by their keeper. With Town getting frustrated, they knew we had to get the next goal and after a Sam Jones shot was forced out and from the resulting corner, Town took the lead from a powerful Matty Harvey header. A couple of minutes later, Town added a 4th as Sam Jones got his second of the game after bursting through the defence and was 1 on 1 with the keeper, and scored past him to give Town a 2 goal cushion.

Mark Roberts then shot over for the hosts before Phil Lloyd nearly added a 5th as his delicate chip over the advancing keeper fell inches wide of the far post. With the game heading into the final 10 minutes, Graham Boylan came on for Steve Thomas and it didnt take long for Boylan to get in on the act as he followed a shot by Graeme Williams which the keeper could only parry and the ball came back out and Boylan was the first to react to tap the ball home. 5 minutes later, Town had added a 6th as Luke Tyson capped a great afternoon for him with a well taken goal after a great ball to him by Phil LLoyd. The referee blew up shortly after that.

The good crowd from Holywell cheered the lads off the pitch at the full time whistle and the scoreline was an excellent result against Gwalchmai who had gone all season undefeated at home and all eyes now turn to Monday's game at Llanberis.


Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Division 1 results

Bodedern Ath

League table

# Team Pd Pts
1. Denbigh Town 28 78
2. Holywell Town 28 65
3. Llanrug Utd 28 59
4. Barmouth & Dyffryn Utd 28 46
5. Glantraeth 28 43
6. Llanberis 28 39
7. Bodedern Ath 28 37
8. Gwalchmai 28 35

Team sponsors


Club sponsors