1st Team - Match centre

Holywell Town
Sat 19 Oct 14:30 - Lock Stock Welsh Alliance Football League - Division 1 Full time Attendance 60

Gwalchmai 2-2 Holywell Town

Honours even at Maes Meurig.


Gwalchmai v Holywell Town

Holywell Town travelled to Gwalchmai knowing that a win would close the gap at the top of the league on Denbigh Town who had drawn the night before against Llanrug.

As kick off time approached, the heavens opened and the matched started in treacherous conditions. Despite the weather, town were early out of the blocks and Tony Roebuck broke clear in the centre of the park and passed to Steve Thomas who went on a run before crossing the ball dangerouosly over into the penalty area but his cross was blocked. With 9 minutes on the clock, Paul Williams crossed for Sam Jones but his header went wide of the post. A few minutes later, Paul Williams was fouled and Steve Thomas’ free kick was saved by Ryan McKean in the Gwalchmai goal.

Gwalchmai’s first effort came on the quarter of an hour mark, Corey Sinnott beat his marker and cut inside Dafydd Griffth, but his shot was saved by Danny Stanton in the Holywell goal. Graham Boylan then held the ball up well and got the ball out to Sam Jones but his effort went wide of the post. Jones was involved in Town’s next move, he passed the ball out to Steve Thomas who skipped the challenge of Jon Williams and his cross was met by Tom McElmeel but his header went wide of McKean’s post.

Town were let off on 20 minutes as a mix up at the back saw the ball break to Sinnott, but his first time effort went over the bar with Town’s defence in disarray. A minute or so later, Town were ahead. Dafydd Griffith’s punt upfield caught the Gwalchmai defence napping, and Steve Thomas was alert to pick up the ball and ran towards goal, McKean came out but Thomas’ effort beat him and nestled into the back of the net via the post. The goal was no more than Town deserved.

5 minutes later, Gwalchmai had equalised. Mark Griffith went towards goal and Griffith put on the pressure and Stanton come out to block the shot, and when the forward struck the ball, Stanton saved it which resulted in both Gwalchmai’s Griffith and Town’s Griffith falling over Stanton who was still on the floor following the block. The ref then pointed to the spot, much to the surprise of the Holywell Town players and Supporters. It was a very harsh decision and Corey Sinnott beat Stanton from the penalty spot.

Sam Jones then had a shot go inches wide, and Boylan saw his tricky flick on from a Jones free kick saved by McKean. The dangerous Jones then played a clever little chip over the back line for Paul Williams to chase, but his dangerous cross beat the onrushing Jones and Thomas. The last chance of the half fell to Gwalchmai but their effort from a free kick was cleared by Griffith to safety.

The second half started and Gwalchmai put Town undera bit of pressure, but the rearguard defended well. Graham Boylan then broke clear and the keeper came rushing out of his area to clear. The ball fell to Steve Thomas, but his effort from over 30 yards went inches wide with the keeper running back towards goal. Gwalchmai nearly took the lead on 52 minutes, as a corner from the right found teh head of Sam Carter, but his header was cleared off the line by Holywell Captain Paul Williams. A few minutes later, Gwalchmai did take the lead. Town’s defence failed to clear the ball, and the hosts’ Sam Carter picked up the ball at the edge of the area and his effort went in via the cross bar to give Gwalchmai a 2-1 lead.

Holywell Town sub Luke Tyson then saw his first touch brilliantly saved by McKean then Mark Orme headed inches wide from a Steve Thomas free kick. Town didn’t have long to wait for the equaliser . A Sam Jones free kick saw the ball fall kindly for Dafydd Griffith who shot home from inside the goal area. This was no more than Town deserved.

Stanton was lucky to get away with a poor clearance after a slip as he cleared the ball with Gwalchmai’s Mark Griffith ready to pounce. Sub Graeme Williams then burst clear from midfield and outsprinted the defenders to be one on one with the keeper, but Mckean got the slightest touch on Graeme’s shot to force it inches wide. Tyson was making dangerous runs down the left flank and his cross was met by Paul Williams but his effort went over the bar. Williams then turned provider as his cross was met by Sam Jones, but his snapshot effort was brilliantly saved my McKean in the Gwalchmai goal, and the loose ball fell Jamie Jones, but his effort was deflected out for a corner. Another Sam Jones free kick was tipped over the bar by McKean before Mckean then saved a Tom McElmeel effort.

Deep into injury time, Town could have sneaked it, a corner taken by Steve Thomas was only partially cleared by the Gwlachmai defence, and Dafydd Griffith picked up the loose ball but he fired wide, much to the delight of the Gwalchmai players and supporters. The referee then blew for full time and Town will know that they should have had all 3 points from the game.


Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Division 1 results

Llandyrnog Utd
Bodedern Ath

League table

# Team Pd Pts
1. Denbigh Town 28 78
2. Holywell Town 28 65
3. Llanrug Utd 28 59
4. Barmouth & Dyffryn Utd 28 46
5. Glantraeth 28 43
6. Llanberis 28 39
7. Bodedern Ath 28 37
8. Gwalchmai 28 35

Team sponsors


Club sponsors