1st Team - Match centre

Holywell Town
Glan Conwy
Wed 21 Aug 19:30 - Lock Stock Welsh Alliance Football League - Division 1 Full time Attendance 150

Holywell Town 5-1 Glan Conwy

Following the 0-0 draw at Llanrug on Saturday, Town looked to get back to winning ways and welcomed Glan Conwy to Halkyn Road.


The first chance of the night fell to Holywell Town, a Matty Roberts cross found the head of Ashley Durham, but his glancing header went wide of the target, and a few minutes later, Danny Stanton saved well from a shot by Glan’s Jake Walker. Graeme Williams then lay the ball off well for Steve Thomas but his shot went over the bar for a goal kick. Another Town attack saw goalkeeper Jamie Roberts punch clear from the oncoming Graham Boylan. Another inswinging Roberts corner found the head of Tom McElmeel but his header went over the bar. A few minutes later however, Town had taken the lead.

Glan Conwy’s Steffan Whitley was adjudged to have handled the ball and referee Nathan Jones pointed to the spot. Paul Williams’ penalty found the back of the net and Town had taken a deserved lead. A few minutes later, Shaun Shannon blocked a great McElmeel shot which was going goalwards before a great ball in by Paul Williams saw Boylan head inches wide. Boylan was in the thick of the action again a few miunutes later but his through ball to Luke Tyson was just a little too hard. Graeme Williams then shot tamely at the keeper before Danny Stanton had to be quick off his line to thwart the danger with Jake Walker ready to pounce.

Just short of the half hour mark, Boylan made it 2-0. Steve Thomas picked up the ball deep in Glan’s half and ran goalwards, his momentum carried him past the challenges of a few defenders and he clipped the ball in from the byeline to the unmarked Boylan who nodded the ball into the net via the crossbar. A few minutes later, the impressive Tyson ran down the right, and his great one two with Town’s Captain Williams saw Tyson shoot inches wide. Another great move saw Graeme Williams shoot over following great work by McElmeel then Town added a deserved third goal.

Another quality Matty Roberts corner flew past everyone and Mark Orme at the back post who headed into the net to give Town a three goal cushion before Steve Thomas’ shot was save well by Roberts and the score was 3-0 going into the break.

Second half started well for Town, and Matty Roberts brought out a great save by Roberts when his shot was pushed wide of the goal for a corner. Town had a couple more chances, with Tyson getting the better of the left back on more than one occasion and his crosses saw chances fall to Boylan and Thomas but to no avail.

On the hour mark, Town scores a 4th as Graeme Williams marked his return to the starting 11 with a great goal that left keeper Roberts with no chance. A few minutes later, Steve Thomas had a free kick go over the bar before substitute Wayne Edwards was only a few inches wide from a free kick from outside the box. With the minutes ticking by, Glan Conwy were awarded a penalty when Ashley Durham was adjudged to have pushed a Glan Conwy attacker, and Matty Cassidy scored the visitors consolation goal with a minute left on the clock.

The game looked to be drawing to a close then the referee gave Town a penalty for a push on Tyson and Wayne Edwards scored his first goal of the season from the spot to give Town a deserved 5-1 win. A great win and Town will be looking forward to Sunday’s game at Llandudno Junction.


Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Division 1 results


League table

# Team Pd Pts
1. Denbigh Town 28 78
2. Holywell Town 28 65
3. Llanrug Utd 28 59
4. Barmouth & Dyffryn Utd 28 46
5. Glantraeth 28 43
6. Llanberis 28 39
7. Bodedern Ath 28 37
8. Gwalchmai 28 35

Team sponsors


Club sponsors