1st Team - Match centre

Bodedern Ath
Holywell Town
Sat 16 Mar 14:30 - Lock Stock Welsh Alliance Football League - Division 1 Full time Attendance 125

Bodedern Athletic 1 - 2 Holywell Town

3 more points for Town who remain unbeaten in the League away from home.


Bodedern Athletic 1-2 Holywell Town

Town travelled to Anglesey to face Bodedern for the second time in a fortnight, this time in the League, and were looking to beat them again after the victory in the Cookson Cup a fortnight earlier.

The game started brightly and after a couple of minutes, Town were on the attack and won 2 corners after good work by Tom Carney on the right hand side. Carney nearly put Town ahead on the quarter of an hour mark as a real cross in from Matty Roberts on the left found Carney, but his header flew inches wide of Gareth OJ Roberts’ post. Town were now piling on teh pressure and a Sam Jones run in to the box saw him felled by Bodedern’s Darren Hughes and the referee had no hesitation but to point to the spot. Steve Thomas took the kick and scored to give Holywell a deserved lead.

Bodedern had their first real chance on 28 minutes, Danny Stanton was forced to save well from Andrew Batley and the rebound was cleared by the Holywell rearguard. A few mibutes later, the action was back in Bodedern’s half, and keeper Roberts was forced into an excellent flying save from a Josh Roberts header after a great cross in by Carney. A minute later, Carney put in an excellent cross again, but Sam Jones lost his footing and the ball was cleared just before he shot at goal. A minute later, Jones again was causing problems for Bodedern’s defenders and his cross was palmed out for a corner. Jones took the kick and his inch perfect cross was met by the head of Graeme Williams who’s powerful header beat the keeper to give town a 2-0 lead. Town’s Thomas and Jones both had half chances before the break but were unable to convert and the scores remained 2-0 at the break.

The second half begun and Town should have added a third with only aminute on the clock. A great ball through from midfield saw Jones through on goal, and as he faced Roberts in goal, he tried to go past him but the keeper got down well to save at Jones’ feet. Bodedern pulled one back on 49 minutes through James Burgess and they suddenly seemed that they could get something from the game, and Batley saw a good shot saved by Stanton to keep the scores 2-1 in Town’s favour.
Mark Orme put the ball int he net but the Official deemed him to be offside and the goal didn’t count. Josh Roberts was having a great game and his cross was cleared by Bodedern’s Darren Hughes with Marc Gunther ready for the tap in if the ball got to him.

On 77 minutes, Ashely Durham had a great header go inches wide before Sub Danny Sullivan pulled the ball back from the bye line to Ian Griffiths who had to watch his shot go inches wide. Ashley Durham saw another effort go inches too high and Ian Griffiths saw his shot come back off the post before the Referee blew his whistle to signal the end of the game and Town picked up another 3 points to keep the pressure on the teams above them in the league.

(Picture: Steve Thomas slots home the penalty midway through the first half)


Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Division 1 results

Nefyn Utd
Llangefni Town

League table

# Team Pd Pts
1. Caernarfon Town 28 66
2. Denbigh Town 28 64
3. Holywell Town 28 61
4. Barmouth & Dyffryn Utd 28 47
5. Llanrug Utd 28 46
6. Llanberis 28 44
7. Llanrwst Utd 28 38
8. Gwalchmai 28 38

Team sponsors


Club sponsors