1st Team - Match centre

Holywell Town
Sat 3 Nov 14:30 - Lock Stock Welsh Alliance Football League - Division 1 Full time Attendance 125

Holywell Town 5-1 Pwllheli

5 star performance in the second half leaves Pwllheli shell shocked.


Holywell Town 5 - 1 Pwllheli
Saturday 3rd November 2012

Holywell Town returned to League action for the first time since 22nd September and looked to win 3 points to keep up with the teams who were above them in the league.

Both teams started brightly with Ian Griffiths and Steve Thomas having efforts for the Wellmen and Mark Jones going close for Pwllheli. The first real chance fell to Pwllheli with 20 minutes on the clock. John Sutton had a shot which came back out off the post, and the ball fell to Mark Jones who had tapped the ball into the empty net. Luckily for Town, he was in an offside position and the linesman raised his flag and the goal was disallowed. This was a let off for Town and they nearly added more salt in Pwllheli’s wound as Paul Williams had an effort go inches wide of Andy Jack’s post following a great cross by Tom Carney.

Pwllheli had 2 good chances to test Danny Stanton in the Holywell goal but failed to do so as Terry Ogilvy shot over the bar and Carl Jones saw his shot go way wide of the goal. A few minutes later though, Pwllheli took the lead as captain Adam Hall’s chip was well weighted and looped over Stanton to break the deadlock. A few minutes later, Steve Thomas broke clear and crossed to Tony Roebuck and his shot was deflected out for a corner.

The goal had given Pwllheli the impetus to get another, and Ogilvy and Jones again saw shots go wide of the Holywell goal. On 41 minutes, Pwllheli won a corner and the ball fell kindly for Adam Hall who miss-kicked and fortunately for Town, Stanton gathered well. On the stroke of half Time, Steve Thomas went on another run and his cross found Ian Griffiths but his effort flew over the bar from close range. There was still time for Stanton to save well from David Edwards before the break and when the ref blew the whistle, it was the visitors who had the upper hand.

Supporters had barely had chance to finish their half time cuppa when Steve Thomas scored the equaliser with barely a minute on the clock. He broke through and saw his shot come back off the crossbar, and he reacted quickly to head the rebound over the keeper to level the scores. A minute later, Town were ahead. Thomas, who was having a great game broke clear and passed the ball to Paul Williams, he looked up and lay the ball off to Tony Roebuck and his shot gave the keeper no chance and it hit the back of the net to cap a remarkable opening couple of minutes to the second half.

A few minutes later, Williams had a shot which went inches wide before Ashley Durham headed wide from a Matty Roberts corner. Just short of the hour mark, Town added another. Tom Carney, who was causing the defence problems with his running with the ball, picked up the ball and even though he was challenged, he managed to cross the ball into the danger area and the ball nestled in the back of the net at the far post to give Town a 3-1 lead.

Pwllheli looked shell shocked and didn’t know what was happening to them. They did break clear on 68 minutes and Terry Ogilvy had a shot which went over the bar. Town looked to add to their tally, Ian Griffiths saw his shot deflected out for a corner before Jack was called into action again, saving well from Steve Thomas. Griffiths didn’t have to wait to long for his goal though. A great move down the left saw Griffiths pick up the ball just outside the box, and he looked up and saw the keeper off his line and chipped the ball inch perfect over him to give Town a 4-1 lead and all 3 points. Steve Thomas added his second and Town’s 5th on 80 minutes when he was put through by Graeme Williams and he walked the ball round the keeper and slotted the ball into the empty net. Graeme Williams then had a shot saved by the goalkeeper before Steve Thomas nearly capped a great performance with his3rd goal but his shot came back out off the crossbar.

Pwllheli were glad to hear the whistle go for full time and wondered what happened to them during that second half. It was a great performance by the Wellmen and confidence will be high going into next week’s Welsh Cup tie at home to Llandudno.


Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Division 1 results

Llandudno Junction
Llangefni Town
Bodedern Ath

League table

# Team Pd Pts
1. Caernarfon Town 28 66
2. Denbigh Town 28 64
3. Holywell Town 28 61
4. Barmouth & Dyffryn Utd 28 47
5. Llanrug Utd 28 46
6. Llanberis 28 44
7. Llanrwst Utd 28 38
8. Gwalchmai 28 38

Team sponsors


Club sponsors