1st Team - Match centre

Holywell Town
Sat 22 Sep 14:30 - Lock Stock Welsh Alliance Football League - Division 1 Full time Attendance 100

Gwalchmai 1 - 1 Holywell Town

Town pick up point at Gwalchmai


Gwalchmai 1 - 1 Holywell Town

Played in late summer sunshine, both teams took to the field and we looked forward to an entertaining game. Holywell had the first chance of the afternoon after a couple of minutes when John Haseldin rose to head the ball towards goal from a corner but it went over the bar.
The hosts took the lead on 8 minutes from the penalty spot when the forward was brought down and the referee had no hesitation but to point to the spot. Craig Evans sent Danny Stanton the wrong way and Gwlachmai were a goal to the good.

Holywell looked to get back into the game and Danny Sullivan and Steve Thomas were causing the Gwalchmai back four problems with their presence and running at them. On 16 minutes, Graeme Williams had a great shot parried by Kenny Hughes in the Gwalchmai goal before more great work by Danny Sullivan saw his cross just beating the oncoming Town players.

Gwalchmai 1 -  1 Holywell Town, 22nd September 2012
6 photos

On 24 minutes, Gwalchmai won a free kick in a dangerous position but the kick was driven into the wall and went away to safety. Holywell then pressed and another Steve Thomas run towards goal saw him beat his defender to get the ball across the face of goal but it was just a little too hard and beat the oncoming Graeme Williams. A couple of minutes later, Thomas again saw a looping shot tipped over by Hughes in the Gwalchmai goal.

With 5 minutes to go before the break, Leon Hughes burst through and his cross was picked up by Steve Thomas who laid the ball off nicely to Paul Williams but his shot went inches wide. Town didn’t have to wait long for the next chance. Steve Thomas went on another oneof his runs and this time, he was brought down by Jon Williams, and despite the Gwlachmai players and bench protesting that it was outside the area, Referee Simon Newport consulted with his assistant and the penalty was given. Danny Sullivan stepped up and watched as Kenny Hughes was able to save his shot, but was helpless with the follow up as Sullivan tapped in the rebound!

The second half was again a tight affair with both teams looking to play football and grind out a result. On 56 minutes, Graeme Williams made a good run towards goal but Jon Williams cleared the danger then a few minutes later, Gwalchmai’s Gerallt Jones saw his shot go inches wide. A few minutes later, Gerallt Jones saw another shot saved brilliantly by Stanton.

On 75 minutes, Steve Thomas sent a great ball over for sub Tom Carney to chase, he had beaten the defender but the linesman put up his flag for offside when many thought he was clearly onside.

As the game went into the final 5 minutes, Gwalchmai’s Sub Peter Twigg had a shot deflected out for a corner before Twigg again was put through but Danny Stanton saved well. The final chance fell to Danny Sullivan who saw his shot fly over the bar. Many commented it was a good game, including the referee, so in fairness, the draw was most probably the right result!


Videos and photos

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Division 1 results

Bodedern Ath
Caernarfon Town
Nefyn Utd
Llangefni Town
Llandudno Junction

League table

# Team Pd Pts
1. Caernarfon Town 28 66
2. Denbigh Town 28 64
3. Holywell Town 28 61
4. Barmouth & Dyffryn Utd 28 47
5. Llanrug Utd 28 46
6. Llanberis 28 44
7. Llanrwst Utd 28 38
8. Gwalchmai 28 38

Team sponsors


Club sponsors