1st Team - Match centre


Holywell Town 5 - 2 Gwalchmai - Cookson Cup Round 2

Holywell Town march to the Semi Final of the Cookson Cup after a 5-2 victory over Gwalchmai at Halkyn Road


Cookson Cup Round 2
Holywell Town 5-2 Gwalchmai

Holywell Town faced Gwalchmai in the Cookson Cup in a rearranged game from the beginning of January which had initially been called off due to a waterlogged pitch. The pitch was playable by lunchtime but a heavy down pour an hour or so before kick off nearly put all the hard work that had gone on in the week to get the game on was nearly put to waste as the pitch had taken a hammering.

The match referee deemed teh pitch to be playable and the game went ahead and the first chance fell to Sam Jones who saw his shot saved by Paul Evans. A few minutes later, Graham Boylan chased after a loose ball but clashed with the keeper when both were challenging for the ball then Town lost Matty Roberts with a hamstring injury and he was replaced by Mark Orme. A few minutes later town took the lead as Sam Jones was brought down by John Earnshaw and after talking to his linesman, referee Gareth Hughes pointed to the spot.

Sam Jones got up and took the kick and fired home past keeper Paul Evans. 8 minutes late, it was 2-0 as Sam Jones grabbed his second of the game. The ball fell to Sam who’s initial shot was saved well by Gwlachmai’s keeper, but Sam reacted quickly to poke the ball home at the second attempt. The 2 goal lead was well deserved by the Wellmen who were playing good football on the bad surface. Barely 5 minutes later, Evans in the Gwalchmai goal was sent off. Paul Williams broke from midfield and ran on towards the goal and as he attempted to round the keeper, Evans grappled Williams to the floor and the referee had no hesitation but to award the penalty and show the red card to Evans. Sam Jones again stepped up and the stand in keeper, Gerallt Jones saved teh penalty but Sam reacted quickest and scored the follow up.

Luke Tyson has a shot go just wide and Graham Boylan, Sam Jones and Dafydd Griffith all had chances but were unable to increase Town’s lead,. Gwalchmai’s best effort of the half came on the stroke of half time as Andrew Swindell’s saw his shot saved well by Danny Stanton which preserved Town’s 3 goal lead at the break.

The second half started and Town continued to press. Boylan put a great ball through to Paul Williams but his shot was cleared before Tony Roebuck saw is goal bound shot deflected out for a corner. Sam Jones had an effort go wide before Gerallt Jones pulled off a great save off Luke Tyson who was clear through on goal but went to place the ball instead of hitting it hard goalwards. Town were then awarded another penalty as Luke Tyson was brought down, and Roebuck stepped up to take the kick but saw his effort saved well by Jones.

Gwalchmai were awarded a penalty in the 75th minute and Corey Sinnott made no mistake from the spot. The goal lifted the spirits of the visitiors and Mark Griffith saw his shot saved well by Stanton before Sinnott had an effort go inches wide. The Wellmen then increased their lead in the 80th minute as a great ball over by Barry Calder saw the ball fall for Luke Tyson who’s shot flew into the top corner with the keeper well beaten. With 10 minutes remaining, Gwalchmai pulled another back as Mark Griffiths poked the ball home but Tyson grabbed his 2nd of the game with a few minutes remaining to ensure it was Town’s name that was into the Semi Final of the Cookson Cup and a trip to Anglesey to play Bodedern Athletic.

Despite the bad conditions underfoot, both teams gave it their all and should be applauded for the effort put in over the 90 minutes. Town now look forward to next week’s Welsh Cup game against Newtown and hopefully, be able to dish a cup upset against the Welsh Premier League team.


Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Stats Centre

Replay game

As it happened

  • Holywell Town
  • Gwalchmai
  • 0
  • M Roberts Sub Off 15:00'
  • M Orme Sub On 15:00'
  • S Jones Goal 20:00'
  • S Jones Goal 28:00'
  • S Jones Goal 33:00'
  • G Williams Sub On 60:00'
  • S Jones Sub Off 60:00'
  • S Thomas Sub On 60:00'
  • P Williams Sub Off 60:00'
  • L Tyson Goal 80:00'
  • L Tyson Goal 85:00'
  • S Jones Player of the Match 90:00'

Period 1

M Roberts is substituted off for Holywell Town
M Orme is substituted on for Holywell Town
S Jones scores for Holywell Town
S Jones scores for Holywell Town
S Jones scores for Holywell Town

Period 2

G Williams is substituted on for Holywell Town
S Jones is substituted off for Holywell Town
S Thomas is substituted on for Holywell Town
P Williams is substituted off for Holywell Town
L Tyson scores for Holywell Town
L Tyson scores for Holywell Town
S Jones is awarded player of the match for Holywell Town

Team sponsors


Club sponsors