1st Team - Match centre

Holywell Town
Sat 10 Nov 14:30 - Cup Full time

Holywell Town 5-3 Llandudno

Town progress into the 3rd Round of the Welsh Cup after epic cup tie


Holywell Town went into their Welsh Cup game against Llandudno full of confidence after last week’s beating of Pwllheli and Town could have found themselves a goal up after only a couple of minutes. A good move down the left involving Paul Williams and Danny Sullivan saw Sullivan cross the ball across the face of goal and with the open goal in front of him, Marc Gunther had to watch in horror as his shot flew inches over the bar. A few minutes later, Gunther again went close after a good ball in by Williams then on the break, Llandudno win themselves a penalty as Ashley Durham brought down their forward and the referee had no hesitation but to point to the spot. Dean Seager took he kick and it beat Danny Stanton in the Holywell goal. Three minutes later, thi visitors doubled their lead as Anthony Tierney shot past Stanton and the ball nestled into the bottom corner after a good ball in from Llandudno’s Tom Dix.

The visitors were full of confidence now and three minutes later, it was 3-0. Seager beat the oncoming Stanton to give Llandudno a 3 goal cushion and they were in total control of the game. Jordan Carrington then had a glancing header go inches wide before Segear had another shot go inches past the post.

IN the 38th minute, Holywell won a penalty and Steve Thomas took the kick and his powerful spot kick beat Paul Whitfield to reduce the arrears. Gunther and Sullivan both went close and on the stroke of half time, Gunther found himself free at the far post and his header flew into the net to put Town back in it.

Town came out in the second half knowing that they could get another, and it didn’t take long. Steve Thomas beat his marker and as he broke into the box, he saw Paul Williams free on the edge of the area and his cross was met by Williams and his shot beat Whitfield to draw the scores level. This goal spurred Holywell on and Steve Thomas had a shot go inches wide before Graeme Williams then shot wide after good work by Tony Roebuck. With 5 minutes remaining, Graeme Williams went close again before a Marc Gunther header was saved by Whitfield. Good work again by Graeme Williams saw Thomas shoot over before Carney then put Thomas in but his turn and shot went over the bar. Llandudno then put pressure on the Wellmen but town’s rearguard soaked the pressure to prevent any last minute heartache for the home side.

The game was locked at 3-3 after 90 minutes so extra time was needed to decide a winner. In the 95th minute, Roebuck put in a great cross but Steve Thomas’ header was saved by Whitfield. The experienced Grant Montgomery then had a shot saved well by Stanton before another Steve Thomas effort went inches wide.

The second period of extra time was only a few minutes old when Town went ahead in the game for the first time. A good move out to the right by Roebuck saw Tom Carney pick up the ball, his pass was met by Thomas who shot across goal. Whitfield was lucky to get a touch on it but could only knock it into the path of Graeme Williams who had the simple task of tapping the ball into the empty net. This was a deserved goal on Williams who had a great game. The goal was met by scenes of jubilation, both on and off the field, and the celebrations were still going on when Town added another goal to put the game beyond Llandudno’s reach.

Thomas, who had the beating of the Visitors left back and he resorted to tripping Thomas up, but Thomas stayed on his feet and his shot beat Whitfield to give Town a two goal cushion.
Llandudno tried to get back into it and Dean Roberts had an effort tfly over the bar, and Montgomery also had a shot go inches wide. The referee blew for full time and the Town’s supporters deservedly gave the Wellmen a standing ovation. What a game and from being 3 goals behind, Town turned it round to beat the Cymru Alliance outfit by 5 goals to 3. The Welsh Cup run continues!

Man of the match : Graeme Williams.

Picture; Steve Thomas' penalty beats Paul Whitfield to begin the comeback.


Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors


Club sponsors