1st Team - Match centre

Llandudno Junction
Holywell Town
Full time
I Griffiths (62'), G Williams (80')
Sat 20 Oct 14:00 - Cup

Llandudno Junction 1-3 Holywell Town

Town make it through to the 4th round after a hard fought victory at Llandudno Junction


FAW Trophy Round 3
Llandudno Junction v Holywell Town

Holywell Town travelled to fellow Welsh Alliance side Llandudno Junction in the 3rd round of the FAW Trophy and very near broke the deadlock as early as a couple of minutes into the game when John Haseldin’s spectacular overhead kick was tipped over the bar by Junction’s Paul Davies for a corner. From the resulting corner, Davies was at it again and tipped over a Danny Sullivan header when the ball seemed to be going in.

The hosts then had the share of the play when a good move saw James Hobson having a shot cleared off the line by Ashley Durham then Jamie Jones was through on goal and was about to pull the trigger but a great tackle from Haseldin prevented this. On 12 minutes, Mark Montgomery put in a good cross but the ball flew past the oncoming Jamie Jones. A few minutes later Hobson was put through but his effort flew over the bar.

Town were next to attack and Danny Sullivan was put in by Steve Thomas but his shot flew over the bar before Town won a free kick in a dangerous position. Steve Thomas took the kick but his shot was charged down by Hobson and Junction were able to clear. Next it was Junction who were on the attack and won a corner. From the corner, Josh Jones saw his header cleared off the line by Durham.
Ian Griffiths shot over for Town on the half hour mark before Griffiths again was in the action, as he ran into the box, it seemed he was pulled back by Josh Jones and he fell to the floor but Referee Martin Trigg waved play on, much to the disappointment of the visiting fans.
It was Junction who had the better chances before the break as Montgomery had another shot go inches over before Danny Stanton produced a great save from a Dwyfor Williams free kick. As the teams went off for half time, it was obvious that the first goal would be important and it was still all to play for after the break.

Town came out the strongest for the second half and Haseldin broke into the box and his shot flew inches past Paul Davies’ far post. Steve Thomas then had a free kick fly over the bar before Town had a good move involving Tony Roebuck, who thread the ball out to Paul Williams whos cross found Danny Sullivan but his shot was deflected off Ian Griffiths for a goal kick. The break through goal game a few minutes later, and it was Holywell Town who broke the deadlock through Ian Griffiths. Matty Roberts, who was having a sound game on the left passed the ball to Griffiths just inside the box and his shot was to powerful for Davies who got a hand to it but the power saw it cross the line.

This spurred the Wellmen on who went looking for a second goal. Graeme Williams saw his shot tipped over by Davies for a corner and again, from the resulting corner, Sullivan had to watch Davies pull off another good save and tip his header over. Holywell Town then were let off the hook as Junction won a penalty. Up stepped Dwyfor Williams to take but his kick flew past Stanton’s left post and Town breathed a huge sigh of relief that they were still in the lead. Sullivan then had a couple of efforts saved well again by Paul Davies in the Junction goal before Hobson had a shot saved brilliantly by Stanton.

Graeme Williams doubled Town’s lead on 80 minutes when Steve Thomas picked him out and he shot past Davies to give Town a two goal advantage. A minute later however, Junction pulled one back they won another penalty and this time, James Hobson stood up to take and made no mistake as his powerful kick beat Stanton who had no chance.
We were in for a tense last ten minutes and Junction were unlucky not to equalise as Joel Hewitt saw his volley hit the crossbar and came back out before being cleared to safety by Durham before Holywell made the game safe on the 90 minute mark. Sub Marc Gunther, with his first touch after coming on as sub, forced the ball home from a Graeme Williams cross to seal victory for the Town.

It was a good and exciting cup tie and a tough game for Holywell Town against a good Junction side and Town were glad at the final whistle that it was their name still in the hat for the next round.


Key moments

Goal Ian Griffiths scores for Holywell Town
Goal Graeme Williams scores for Holywell Town


View 0 new events
There are no events recorded for this fixture yet.
Replay game

As it happened

  • Llandudno Junction
  • Holywell Town
  • 0
  • Ian Griffiths Goal 62:00'
  • Graeme Williams Goal 80:00'
  • Ian Griffiths Sub Off 88:00'
  • Matty Roberts Player of the Match 90:00'

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors


Club sponsors