Holywell Town FC

Holywell Town 4-3 Llanrwst United - Welsh Alliance Leage

by Steve Roberts

Town leave it late against The Rwsters

Holywell Town 4-3 Llanrwst United - Welsh Alliance Leage

Holywell Town 4-3 Llanrwst United

Holywell Town played their first match at home in 2013 and those there witnessed a great game which had a bit of everything in it!
The first chance of the afternoon fell to Llanrwst United on 5 minutes, when Danny Stanton was called into action early, saving well from Bryn Jenkins. A few minues later, Town had Llanrwst under pressure, and after a scramble, Town were sure the ball had crossed the line from a Steve Thomas effort, but as the defender cleared the ball, Referee Martin Trigg waved play on and the goal wasn’t given. Minutes later, Paul Cassidy broke free but a last ditch tackle by Tom Povey prevented him from getting in his shot at Stanton’s goal.

Llanrwst broke clear again 5 minutes later, Elliott Llywelyn picked the ball up on the half way line and ran towards goal, and just as he was about to shoot, Matty Roberts put in a last ditch tackle and timed it to perfection and cleared the danger. The next attack fell Holywell’s way and they should have taken the lead. A great ball in from the byline from Steve Thomas found its way to Graeme Williams but his effort went inches over the bar. It was all Town now and a great cross by Tom Carney found the head of Danny Sullivan, but his effort was deflected inches past the post. From the resulting corner, Sullivan again had a header cleared off the line.

Town didn’t have to wait too long though for the breakthrough. Paul Williams passed the ball through to Steve Thomas who rode the challenge of a defender and rounded the keeper to shoot home to give Town a deserved lead. Town’s supporters were still celebrating when Llanrwst won a dubious looking penalty and up stepped Richard Orme and his kick beat Stanton to give them the equaliser. Llanrwst then had a good spell of pressure, and as Matty Roberts attempted to kick the ball clear, it bobbled and his clearance flew straight at Danny Stanton and his reaction forced him to catch the ball and Referee Trigg blew for a backpass. Luckily for Town, Llanrwst’s free kick was charged down by the wall and the follow up flew over the bar.

HALF TIME: Holywell Town 1-1 Llanrwst United

The first attempt of the second half came from Steve Thomas, who picked up a Danny Sullivan knock on but his attempted lob over the keeper fell just the wrong side of the post. Town piled more pressure on the Rwsters back line and Gwydion Owen produced three great saves in a mad goalmouth scramble before Tony Roebuck showed the other how it was done and shot threw a mass of bodies to give Town the lead again. Once again, Llanrwst equalised virtually straight away, the ball fell to Elliott Llywelyn who saw his shot from outside the area beat Stanton and nestle in the bottom corner.

Both teams had effort on goal, Sullivan and Thomas for Town whilst Bryn Jenkins and Kane Williams both had effort for the visitors but no team could add to the tally. Llanrwst then had Paul Cassidy sent off for something he said to the referee and Town urged they could go on an win the game. Steve Thomas had a shot which was deflected and the keeper was able to save, minutes later, Llanrwst had the lead from again a dubious penalty as Richard Orme got his second of the game from the penalty spot.

Following the goal, Town raised there game, and Thomas saw a shot saved well by owen in goal, before Tom Carney saw his chip hit the post and bounced back across the goal line before it was cleared to safety. Sullivan had a shot that went inches wide before he then had a shot which was deflected onto the cross bar from Leighton Griffiths’ foot. With 10 minutes to go, Matty Roberts ran down the left wing and beat his challenger, before delivering an inch perfect cross intothe box for the on running Steve Thomas who slotted the ball home to give Town the equaliser. Barely a minute had passed before Town won anoth corner. Paul Williams took it and Tom Povey rose well above his marker and his header found the back of the net to give Holywell the lead. It was Tom’s first goal of the season and proved to be the match winner.

Town then had Marc Gunther sent off for a second yellow before Llanrwst were reduced to 9 men as Elliott Llywellyn was also sent off by referee Martin Trigg. Povey’s header proved to be the winner and Town claimed the points. Despite it not being pretty at times, Town raised their game to get all three points, and with Denbigh Town and Caernarfon Town both winning aswell, it was a massive 3 points for Town, also knowing it will be a couple of weeks again before they return to league action.

Other Division 1 Results

Nefyn Utd 1 1 Glan Conwy Att. 50
Llanberis 3 5 Denbigh Town Att. 150
Llanrug Utd 7 0 Bodedern Ath Att. 75
Llangefni Town 0 4 Pwllheli Att. 75
Holywell Town 4 3 Llanrwst Utd Att. 125
Llandudno Junction 1 6 Caernarfon Town Att. 150
Gwalchmai 3 3 Barmouth & Dyffryn Utd Att. 75