Holywell Town FC

Holywell Town 2 - 1 Porthmadog Welsh Cup Quarter Final

by Steve Roberts

The Wellmen progress into the Semi Final's of the Welsh Cup!

Holywell Town 2 - 1 Porthmadog  Welsh Cup Quarter Final

Welsh Cup Quarter Final
Holywell Town 2-1 Porthmadog

Holywell Town went into the record books this afternoon after beating Porthmadog by 2 goals to 1 and to be the first tier 3 club to ever reach the Semi Finals of the Welsh Cup.

Both teams tried to get control of the game and the first chance fell to Holywell Town as Phil Lloyd lay the ball off nicely to Tony Roebuck but his shot flew over the bar. A couple of minutes later, Porthmadog’s Rob Evans saw his shot deflected over the bar for a corner. A few minutes later, Porthmadog thought they had taken the lead as Eilir Edwards’ header was going goal bound but a last minute clearance by Town’s Mark Orme kept the scores at 0-0. Leon Newell’s follow up went wide of Danny Stanton’s post.

With quarter of an hour played, an miskick by Stanton saw the ball picked up by Carl Owen, and his attempted chip was safely gathered by Stanton. A couple of minutes later, Newell shot over the bar and a minute later, Carl Owen had a effort go narrowly wide for the visitors. Town then had some possession and Sam Jones broke into the Porthmadog box and his dangerous cross towards Paul Williams was gathered by Harvey in the Porthmadog goal. Carl Owen then went close again for Porthmadog as his turn and shot flew inches past the post.

Town then broke clear and Steve Thomas ran down the left wing. Beating two challenges, his dangerous cross flew across goal and the keeper mis read it and it went past him and Town’s Graeme Williams was there but he didn’t expect the ball to reach him and he snapped at his shot. Town were getting into the game now and a few minutes later, had taken the lead. A quickly taken free kick saw Sam Jones burst down the left, he ran into the box and he cut inside before shooting past Harvey to give Town the lead. It was a great goal and Jones finish was excellent. Town then had to defend as Port came on the attack, but Town unfortunately let Porthmadog back into the game as they equalised on the stroke of half time. John Owen burst into the box and Danny Stanton saved his shot, but could only parry it to the path of Leon Newell who made no mistake to draw the teams level at the break.

The second half got under way and Porthmadog had another goal bound effort off Carl Owen cleared off the line, before Owen again a few minutes later had an effort saved by Danny Stanton. Porthamdog then won a corner and once again, Owen had his shot saved by Stanton who was having a great game inbetween the stick for the Wellmen. Town’s first real chance of the second half fell to Phil Lloyd on the hour mark, as he gathered the ball on the edge of the box, and his turn and shot flew inches wide of Harvey’s goal. Gareth Jones Evans then had a shot saved by Stanton and with all their pressure, Porthmadog could not get the important second goal.

The 500 strong crowd were preparing themselves for extra time but there was still time for a last gasp winner to be scored. As the clocked ticked into the 90th minute, Sam Jones broke clear down the left. The crowd roared him on and as he entered the box, he looked up, thought about going for goal himself but decided to cross low across the face of goal, his cross beat the despairing lunge of Harvey and up came Dafydd Griffith to rifle the ball home much to the delight of the Home Crowd. The goal marked scenes of wild jubilation for the Wellmen and with only a minute left on the clock, there wasn’t time for Porthmadog to get back into the game and Town progressed into the semi finals of the Welsh Cup for the first time in their history.

The scenes on the pitch at the end of the game showed what it meant to the players, committee and supporters of the club, and it is another great day in the history of Holywell Town FC. Now for the semi finals.........