Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Holywell Town FC app


Wellmen round off season with a fine victory over Holyhead Hotspur.

By Steve Roberts

Holywell Town claimed a 3-0 victory over Holyhead Hotspur to round off our campaign with a win.

The match got underway at a windswept and very wet Halkyn Road, and the Wellmen set out their stall early and put the pressure on Holyhead Hotspur. Town won an early corner after a free kick was delivered into the box and goalkeeper Dan Williams parried the ball out for a corner. From the resulting corner, Sam Jones delivered a perfect ball into the box and Jamie McCall headed the ball home to give the Wellmen a dream start.

Town continued to press for another goal, and a good ball got Tony Roebuck running down the right, and his cross was met by Sam Jones, who set Aaron Pomeyie up, but his initial shot was blocked, and was unable to get another shot in on goal as the defenders stood firm and the ball went out for a goal kick.

Town increased their lead with quarter of an hour played. Aaron Pomeyie picked up the ball on the edge of the box, and his looping curling shot flew over the keeper and into the top corner. Great goal to double Town’s lead. The action was all down in the Holyhead Hotspur half, and Zebb Edwards wasn’t too far away with a rasping drive with half an hour played. Mark Winslade then saw an effort fall inches wide before a under hit Mike Platt clearance fell to Deion Parry, but his attempted chip was miss hit and went out for a goalkick.

Town broke well down the right, and a great ball found Winslade, who beats his man and from the byeline, his low cross is met by Sam Jones, but he is unable to steer the ball home. Aaron Pomeyie then had an effort go wide of the post and the half time score was 2-0 to the Wellmen.

The second half got underway and Town looked to build on their 2-0 scoreline. The half was only a few minutes old and Holyhead Hotspur were reduced to 10 men as Alex Jones was sent off for a foul on Zebb Edwards. A couple of minutes later, Town increased their lead as Aaron Pomeyie grabbed his second of the game, firing low past the keeper.
Holyhead Hotspur enjoyed a good spell of possession but were unable to test Town keeper Mike Platt and Zebb Edwards free kick from distance missed the bar by inches, then with 10 minutes remaining, Sam Jones goes close to increase Town’s lead but his shot goes inches wide.

The Referee blew for full time with the Wellmen victorious, and then everyone had to endure a long 10 minutes waiting for the result of the Penrhyncoch game.

Updated 19:36 - 27 Apr 2019 by Steve Roberts

Where next?

Heartache for Town as Relegation is confirmed Despite winning 3-0 against Holyhead Hotspur, Holywell Town were today relegated out of the Huws Gray Alliance League.
Reserves back to winning ways after victory at New Brighton Villa The Reserves got back to winning ways after a convincing 6-2 win over New Brighton Villa.

Wed 15 May
League 7 – 1
Sat 11 May
League 0 – 4
Sun 5 May
Under 19s Llay Welfare Colts
League 4 – 1
Sat 4 May
League 15 – 0

News sponsors


Club sponsors